Amba Ceylon OP1
About the tea...
Did you know that if you allow a tea bush to sprout seeds, those seeds will eventually flower. Tea growers don't traditionally allow the flowering of the bushes as it is said to alter the flavor of the leaves, but Amba has allowed select bushes to flower in order to dry and blend those petals with their hand picked, artisanal tea. This OP1 black tea blend was:
- plucked in the 1 leaf and a bud method,withered for 19-22 hours
- rolled by hand for 1 hour,
- allowed to oxidize for 3-4 hours,
- and was dried via both sunlight and small dryer until the perfect moisture level was reached,
- this small batch resulted in 10.5 kg of tea (approx. 23 pounds).
**When steeped, the liquor color will be a coppery hue. Liquor flavors include honey and toffee apples, with a hint of citrus (they grow lemongrass close by).
About Amba Estate:
- Amba is a small, organic farm located in the hills about 1000m above Ravanna Ella Waterfalls (Uva District).
- The estate grows tea, coffee, spices, herbs, fruits, and vegetables.
- Amba is one of the only tea estates in Sri Lanks making small scale, artisanal tea.
- Amba cross trains their employees (very rare) to enable fulfillment of multiple roles.
- Amba offers a profit sharing program with their employees with 1% going into a charity fund, and the other 9% being split amongst the workers. This is almost unheard of in this part of the world!
- For more information on Amba Estate, please visit "The Woman With The Tea Garden" or check out this video on Youtube.
Origin: Sri Lanka
Serving Amount: 1 tsp./8 oz. serving
Temperature: 203-212 degrees
Steep Time: 5 minutes
Serving Size: 1 oz. of tea will provide 12-15 single cup servings
Sourcing: Direct from Grower
Harvest Date: July/August 2014